With a reported population of 32,000 people and nearly 8,000 families, Deer Park, Texas, was founded in 1892 by Simeon Henry West, a farmer and retired legislator from Illinois. Deer Park is bordered by the cities of Pasadena and La Porte to the east, south, and west, and by the Houston Ship Channel.
The city is near the site of the Battle of San Jacinto, where, on April 21, 1836, Texas won its independence from Mexico. Because the initial surrender treaty after the battle was signed in Dr. George Moffitt Patrick’s cabin, Deer Park is sometimes referred to as the “Birthplace of Texas.”
The city’s first major establishment was a railroad system and later a post office. In the years that followed, a hotel, general store and a few businesses came to the area, named after the large number of deer that roamed the Gulf plains.
Though Deer Park had a promising start, the population saw a dramatic decline by 1922. However, the arrival of a refinery by Shell Oil Company in 1928 brought new interest to the area. In 1930 a school district was established and in the decade that followed, Deer Park’s population began to flourish.
Although the city discussed an ordinance for landlord and registration in Deer Park, there are currently no such requirements.
School aged children are zoned to Deer Park Independent School District, with some students attending schools located in the La Porte Independent School District. DPISD has eight elementary schools, four junior high schools and three high schools: Deer Park North, South and Wolters Campus.
The city operates the Deer Park Library, located at 3009 Center Street.
Ashoka Lion Property Management Company has extensive knowledge of real estate in the Houston area, including the city of Deer Park. Ashoka Lion helps investors buy, sell, and manage properties, and optimize profitability while seeing to the needs of their tenants. An experienced real estate agent from the Lion Real Estate Group can also help prospective renters or homeowners search for homes to rent, lease or buy within the Houston area.